One Friday, I was blithely going about my day when Damon called and said that he wanted to take the kids to Comic Con. I, of course, had seen on the news that it would be coming to town, and when he first said he wanted to take the 3 older kids my response was, "Have fun!" Because I am more than happy to send them off on their adventures and get a little slice of peace and quiet. Crowded, busy places are not exactly my cup of tea. Then I got thinking what "quiet" has been lately with Gabby. It is a lot not so peaceful. It consists of the sweet little one searching for me, and upon finding me, grabbing my hand and dragging me over to the pantry where she would point at some random, often inedible in it's current state, thing. Like rice. Or garlic. Also, lots of whining. She is still working on actually using words to ask for something she wants. Peaceful evenings with just Gabby have turned to the frustrating side of things. Or, I just need to find better hiding places. (What?! I don't HIDE from my 2 year old! **but I want to sometimes**) Ultimately, I called Damon and told him that I wanted to come too, so let's make it a family outing. We had been talking for a while about taking the kids on the train. What better reason that when we were going to downtown Salt Lake, just a few blocks from the train station? So, we all loaded onto the train...



...and only drove a few commuters crazy. ;-)
Only when we got off the train and started to head in the direction of the Salt Palace did we begin to see the folly in our "well thought out plan". Our walk took us right through a very, um, homeless couple of city blocks. Doh, Mom and Dad! The kids couldn't understand why people were sleeping on the sidewalk, and repeatedly asked quite loudly why they were. *sigh* Needless to say, we took a different route on the way back to the train station.
Comic Con was *ahem* a little crazy. Not that I wasn't expecting that, but Gabby decided she was done about 5 minutes in. She insisted on getting out of the stroller. Then got mad when I wouldn't let her push it. Do you think I am going to let a 2 year old loose in all that craziness? I think not. It was more stressful for me that it was worth.
We did get to see some fun and crazy things. In the end, I learned that I should always go with my first instinct and stay home. Everybody would have had a much better night. Well, definitely Damon and the kids. The vote is still out of whether or not I would have.
No comments:
Post a Comment