Monday, February 11, 2013

A piercingly fabulous birthday!

For some strange reason, I thought that I had published this post and another one and set them to post a week or so apart so that it wouldn't look like I was failing miserably in my blog posting. I totally am.
Well, Kaydance turned 9 this year. I didn't really feel like throwing a party for her and she didn't push for it, so I convinced her that getting a mani/pedi is just as good. She loved it. It was nice to hang out with my just my girl. I don't get to do that very often. Before we went to get pampered, Miss Kaydance wanted to get her ears pierced. I always said that I wouldn't pierce my daughters' ears until they were asking (*begging*) for it. Here's how it went down for Kaydance. She kept asking me for an American Girl doll. I have known Kaydance long enough to know that she just doesn't play with dolls. She got a knock-off brand for her 6th birthday and she was fun for about a week. I am not going to pay $150 for something that she won't be playing with in a week. So, I convinced her that getting her ears pierced was so much better. I may have spent several days planting the idea in her head and then conveniently thrown out that it was either the doll or the ears. She picked the ears. Just like I knew she would because being the good mommy that I am, I don't give them the option unless I am willing to do whichever they pick or I already know which one they will choose. In this case, it was the latter.



 
Seriously, my little girl is growing up and getting so big. She is so beautiful and I am so proud of her.

 
As for gifts, she got some Stompeez slippers (These are so cute, the little ears on the bunnies pop up when you walk in them.), lots of earrings, and some nail stickers so that she can have fancy nails like mom.
Midnight the night before her birthday found us blowing up balloons and rigging it so that they all spilled in on her when she opened the door. Pretty darn fabulous! I will now pat myself on the back and say that I have done my good parenting moment for the year, er, month.

We have begun the tradition of doing a treasure hunt for the kiddos to find their birthday presents. Kaydance's were in the dishwasher this year. I am quickly running out of places to stash these things.

Her birthday actually fell on a Sunday (Superbowl Sunday, no less) so she got to spend the evening with her cousins and have everybody sing to her. Lucky girl. Not so lucky? I dropped her cake when I was pulling it out of the oven. Major fail moment. Luckily, icing is a wonderful thing that can fix almost anything.
Happy Birthday sweet Kaydance. You are a star!

No comments: