Thursday, February 7, 2013

Parental Pride


As a parent, there are many moments for me to be proud of my kids. But, there are some that just "make my buttons pop" like my grandma used to say. Usually these moments aren't the ones that others can see, and I think that is why I find such pleasure in them. They aren't the moments that some feel the need to be compared to other childrens' accomplishments. They are the moments that occur within the walls of my home when almost nobody is looking. Except for me. I'll never forget the first moment that I was 'shirt busting' proud of my kids. It was when my oldest finally went to the bathroom on her own. I just wanted to pick her up and squeeze her and love on her. That was a pretty big accomplishment, and I am always proud of my kids, but I am sometimes surprised by the moments where I look at my kids and feel that pride. This was one of them. Gabs hadn't been drinking very much and I was starting to worry about it. I was also willing to get a little creative. So, I gave her a cup with some water in it and voila! She drank a few cups that night. Just the sight of her holding her cup and drinking like a big girl made me feel so proud. Also, probably, a little bit sad because she looked so grown up.

No comments: